EDebrief · Best of the week · Issue #3
January 21th · Issue #3
If you don’t want to miss out on upcoming editions, subscribe here.
Startups & Product Management 🚀
- Gibson Biddle, former VP of Product at Netflix, explains the symbiotic relation between Marketing and Product in order to build Netflix’s brand.
- Aaron Batalion, partner at the VC firm Lightspeed, articulates why an engineer’s job is not just writing code. Her job is to improve the product and deliver value to the end users. The “Knowns vs Unknowns” framework can help you understand why.
- A collection of Product Development frameworks from leading companies to help build successful products.
Digital Strategy and Trends 🔀
- Nowadays, companies can build barriers to entry either through increasing brand equity, economies of scale or network effects. Anu Hariharan, Partner at VC YCombinator, explores how Network Effects work, and how to deterministically create them in a business.
- Companies believe that increasing profit margins (which can be achieved through cost cutting) must be one of their primary goals. Conversely, studies show that cost cutting can be counterproductive, starving a company of new sources of growth and undermining performance over the long-term. [via McKinsey Insights]
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the biggest levers that a business can use within their acquisition strategy. This article explains the exact role that SEO plays in the Growth strategy of a company. [via Conversion XL]
Crypto and Finance 📈
- Steven Johnson puts together a comprehensive piece for the New York Times exploring what lies beyond the speculative market in crypto tokens. A piece that requires sitting down with a cup of coffee or tea to read it. [via The New York Times]
- Kenny Li provides with an exhaustive guide to Bitcoin and Altcoin trading, full of small tips to fine tune a crypto investing strategy.
- One market in which blockchain seems to have potential is the digital advertising industry. This piece explores four areas in which it could be implemented.
Must-listen Podcasts 🎧
- Juan Benet, founder of Filecoin and IPFS and Olaf-Carlson Wee, first employee of Coinbase and now CEO of Polychain Capital, chat with Chris Dixon on the status quo of Cryptocurrencies [via a16z Podcast]
- Reid Hoffman, co-founder of LinkedIn, retrospects on the story behind his company and how it ended up selling for $26bn to Microsoft, making Hoffman one of the most influential figures in Silicon Valley. [via How I Built This Podcast]
Before you go, please consider:
- Recommend or share this if you found it useful. It gives me 🔋 to write knowing that people find value in it
- If you don’t want to miss out on upcoming editions